Inov-8 FastLift 370 BOA
Reebok CrossFit Lifter Plus 2.0
Most great products, in my mind, have both good form and function. There are other aspects, but in order to make something appeal to the consumer audience these two things are key.
There are so many different kinds of shoes: running, spikes, basketball, skate, casual, sandals, etc. I specifically chose lifters to compare designs. The overall purpose is the same with both examples: lifters, no matter the brand, have a high heel in order to support the foot position and control body weight movement from the bottom up. The extra lift gives your legs that little more push of comfort they need to perform with heavier weight.
The function of both is probably great. I've never used either one, though the lifters I own and use are another style from Reebok. And I can honestly tell you I was attracted to them because of what they look like.
I chose two with similar color scheme to show that both are simple, but the Reebok has the extra accent of color in addition to the plain black. It's eye catching. It's plain, but exciting, especially compared to the Inov8 in boring all black.
The shape of each shoe makes a difference. The Reebok is more rounded, having much smoother lines. The lines that move across the top of the shoe on the straps give a more arched and rounded feeling, whereas the Inov8 has lines and shapes pointing in several directions. It also has a longer look, skinnier. It has a running shoe feel, but when I think lifter I think toe room. The rounded front of the Reebok gives off a roomier and more comfortable impression that the Inov8.
I feel like the top is more stern and the bottom is more fun. Older and younger. Harder and softer. Cold and warm.
Even the smaller size of the laces on the top shoe is off putting to me.
Even though form and function are separate here, I think the function effects my impression of form. I want comfort in a shoe that I'll be lifting a lot of weight in, so I transfer that into sight: I look for comfort.
The top example is too heavy to feel comfortable in my mind, I'm not going to want it on my foot.


No comments:
Post a Comment