Saturday, August 30, 2014
Visceral Response
This is Lauren Fisher.
Fisher was the youngest of all 43 female competitors at this year's CrossFit Games. She attends San Diego State University, weighs in at 135 pounds and is cleaning 170 pounds here as fast as she can, after having just cleaned 155, 160, and 165 pounds within the last 30 seconds. Her max effort clean and jerk lift is 242 pounds, and she competes in Olympic Weightlifting at the international level.
She is a rookie among fitness gods, this was her third day of grueling and taxing functional exercises, and she is smiling at the bottom of her squat.
As a fan of functional fitness in all it's forms, I watched the CrossFit Games religiously during the week it aired online and on television. I rooted for Lauren Fisher (who ended up in 9th place after 5 days of events).
This photo captures all the moments that I watched the Games and felt inspired and moved by the strength and mental aptitude of every athlete who competed. Society sees strength as masculine. I see strength as beauty. These women, with the utmost support of the men doing all the same movements and functional fitness techniques, are challenging society by being beautiful in the best way that they know how. Who else will young girls rely on to show them that it's okay to lift heavy things and pull themselves up and above a pull up bar? The athletes of functional fitness can be the role models to everyone (including myself) to show society that being strong is gender neutral.
I would have never known I was as strong as I am until someone told me that I could be.
As for the photo itself, Fisher's smile is the joy that tells the world that all the suffering and pain she is pushing through is worth it in this moment. The moment when you realize you've succeeded, even if it's only for a fraction of the workout, that's the moment when you smile and continue to gain strength to keep pushing.
The elements of line and color are most prominent here. The parallel blue and gray horizontal lines in comparison with the barbells, as well as the vertical pull up bars in the background, both sets of lines in repetition. Blue seems to be the color that draws my eye into the image the most.
If you zoom into the photo you can see texture in her muscles, in the chalk on her legs, hands, and shirt.
The repetitive circles of the weight plates represent shape, although form isn't as prominent. I suppose the shadows on the plates and ground help. As far as space, Lauren herself is the focal point, therefore positive space, and everything else can be argued as being negative until you look more closely at it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Great analysis. Great photo. Her face expresses it all against the contrast of the exertion.
ReplyDeleteI love this picture. Good choice.
ReplyDelete